Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year - New Beginnings

Thankfully, 2010 is in the record books. For us, it was a difficult year. You won't find many postings for 2010 on our blog because we were overwhelmed with life. In retrospect, we dealt with only 3 major issues. January found Dave living and working in Phoenix, Arizona at his new job with Integra Telcom which he started in October 2009. By the end of January 2010, I was undergoing chemo therapy and had lost my hair.

By March, Dave was blessed with a transfer from Phoenix to Salt Lake with Integra and I finished my chemo therapy. By May, my hair started to grow back in and by September, I became ill since my immune system was nearly non-existent. In October, I lost my job and found myself worried, upset and depressed.

2010 was not our best year, but we were blessed! We were blessed with help from friends, family and neighbors. I can't begin to tell you how people rallied around us from everywhere. Without the support of so many, we would not have been able to survive the difficulties we faced. I'm now convinced that I can handle anything life throws at me because of the support I have from the people around me. Dave and I learned a lot about each other this year. Those lessons are sure to be a gift of unmeasurable wealth in 2011.

Dave and I look forward to this new year. We are excited about the possibilities and anticipate great things to be achieved in 2011. We quietly sat down on New Years Day and discussed our goals and what we wanted to achieve this year. We came up with 3 goals this year. Since a goal isn't a goal until it's written down and shared, we are posting our goals. We hope this will help us remain focused throughout the year.

Our first goal is a Financial goal. We intend to reduce our debt this year. By the end of 2011, we intend to only have our mortgage and the remainder of one additional loan to pay off. Not only will this help us achieve the freedom that we want from our creditors, but it may show us that I don't need to work. We may be able to be foster parents or finally get the opportunity to adopt a child that we have been wanting to do for so long.

Our second goal is a Physical one. We have committed ourselves to working out 6 days a week and improving our diet. With much research and discussion, we have come up with a diet we feel will help us and an exercise regime that we hope will be varied enough to keep us focused throughout the year. We have not included any weight loss numbers in order to reduce the pressure, but we are certain weight loss will be achieved as we maintain the diet and exercise routine that we have committed to.

Our third goal is a Spiritual one. We have committed ourselves to attending the temple at least once a month and having daily prayer together. To many of you, this goal may sound silly, but it will be a stretch for us. With my cancer treatments in 2010 and my poor immune system, I have spent much of 2010 at home on Sunday's. On top of that, I didn't go visiting teaching once during 2010. 2011 will be a year of rebuilding good habits in the spiritual department. It will be easy for us not to go to church and not to attend the temple and not to magnify our callings. We desperately need to rebuild those good spiritual habits so that we can feel stronger and more balanced.

Happy new year everyone. We hope you are just as excited as we are for this new year and all its possibilities.

2 comments:

CassiLou said...

Your goals sound GREAT!!! Thank you for being brave enough to share them with us. I love you tons! You are an AWESOME woman. We need to play soon. Love you! Cass

Elise Halladay said...

Very good goals! I am sorry 2010 was such a rough year. I know 2011 will bring good things for you both :) Love you