Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Favorite Flower

I’ve always had a love for tulips and have often felt that they were my favorite flower. The tulip is so beautiful and full of color. They come into full bloom in April, which is my birth month, and once they are planted, they come back every year without fail. Somehow I’ve always loved that about tulips and perhaps that is why they are so near and dear to my heart.

Recently though, I’ve become obsessed with another flower and for totally different reasons. The lotus flower starts as a small flower down at the bottom of a pond in the mud and muck. It slowly grows up towards the waters surface, moving towards the light. Once it breaks the surface of the water the lotus begins to blossom and turn into a beautiful flower. I can’t help but see the connection between life in general and this flower. Just as the lotus grows from the mud into an object of great beauty, people also grow and change into something more beautiful.



This last year has brought me through some difficult times. Perhaps I’m so obsessed with this flower because I have gone through so much and I’m coming out of it. I have been at the bottom, in the muddy, yucky, dirty pond and am rising above to a new life. I’m not quite there yet, but I know it’s going to be glorious once I’ve broken that surface.

No comments: