Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Childhood Memories........

Island girl Cassi had an interesting blog on childhood memories and requested that her friends either post theirs on her comment block or post their own on their personal blogs...so here is mine-Dave
I have a lot of memories as a child, and like Cassi's, mine are located on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. The first thing that comes to mind is Haunama Bay. Haunama bay is one of the sweetest spots to learn to snorkel and scuba. The water is crystal clear and calm. The natural reef breaks up the waves and makes this an ideal spot.

Let's not forget the "Toilet Bowl" also located at Haunama Bay...This is a bowl that has a underground tube where it allows water from the ocean to fill it up and down...hence the name..

My next memory comes in the form of a evil-fighting cyborg wreaking machine call Kikaida! I'm sure everyone has heard of "The Mighty Morphing Power Rangers"...but they got nothing on Jiro and his ability to totally drain entire power stations and totaly kick the crap out of evil beings trying to take over the planet!...
That brings me to the reason why I loved this kids show...Haole Day....or the day you stay home from school cause the locals will pound you. So I would skip school and watch Kikaida at another "haole's" house and brush up on my karate moves, so as to be able to save myself from the bus stop ambush that would be waiting for me the next day. Then I saw this program of this amazing guy that could crush you with his thumb....
This guy could move so fast that I actually thought he could destroy Kikaida in 2 moves...and he probably could. His name was Ed Parker, a native Hawaiian who passed away in 1990. He developed a martial art called American Kenpo Karate. I was so impressed as a child that later as an adult, when I had the opportunity to take this martial art, I started learning it at a rapid pace. In a year and a half I had attained the ranking of Green Belt. I still have to get my Black Belt, and it remains as one of my personal goals. Here is Ed Parker in action as well as some other Kenpo pics:
Let's not forget SPAM


And Reeses Peanut Butter Cups...sometimes eaten at the same time!



And OP Board Shorts, a tank top and flip-flops, standard everyday wear, sometimes even to church!











Trips to Waikiki and North Shore.....


















And the world famous PPC (Polynesian Cultural Center)

















And we can't forget the Hawaiian Ice!


I also have memories of other trips we took to Pali pass, Kaui, the Big Island...but the best memories were with Dad at Haunama, our favorite weekend hangout...






So many more memories, but these are the ones that really stick out for me. I 'll repost some more Hawaii pics as soon as I can get Dad to reprint them from his 5,000 slides that he has horded away in his basement somewhere...Mahalo for dropping by, and Aloha!



Shaka!
Dave





















1 comment:

CassiLou said...

I must say i was on the other side of "Kill Haole Day," Except when it pertained to my best friend and then I would tell my friends to leave her alone. You and I share a lot of the same spots for some awesome memories. Aloha Nui Loa, Cass